Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Russian National Ballet

So Monday night I went with three friends from the house to the ballet. Kate, Levin, Felicia and I were treated to a compressed version of Swan Lake that was about 45 minutes long, followed by selections from other shows. Overall I thought it good, but the male lead in swan lake was almost completely expressionless and at times he almost seemed to waddle, rather than dance.  He gave off the impression that he was only there to stand behind the ballerina except for a few specific times when he tried to look happy.  I decided that his expressionless death mask was better because his "happy face" was creepy and forced.  Other than that the show was very good, although the audience had interesting ideas about conduct.  Everyone had snacks, one woman took constant photo, and one man answered his phone! There was a cute kid behind us who oohd and ahhd when there were lifts or impressive dresses.

Things have been going well at my project.  We moved into a new room which is bigger. Both of the girls I was working with last night had terrible colds and were having a hard time but one of them couldn't say would.  She could only say good.  I think she needs to move down into the beginner class and I felt bad because I was loosing my patience a bit with them.  Mostly because they came to class too sick to really work.

Last night when I got home from my project several people were going out and so I went with them.  I didn't think we'd be out that long but I ended up staying out with Ollie and Levin until almost five in the morning.  We had a good time though, some girl thought they looked like The Beatles and took a whole bunch of pictures.  She definitely wasn't interested in me, apparently I was cast in the role of Yoko because every time they talked to me she would get a little annoyed.  We danced and Levin and Ollie even got up on the bar for awhile. Their dancing was very entertaining but since I didn't realize we were going dancing, or how late we would be out I didn't bring a camera! I did get some pictures from before the ballet which I will get posted ASAP. Next week is Ollie's last week and when we go out I'll be sure to have my camera with me!Thankfully there wasn't anyone being obnoxious like last time.  The last time we went out I kept having to elbow this drunk guy who wanted to lean on me. Last night there was just a polite Peruvian who offered me some beer and then left me alone when I declined.

This weekend we are supposed to go to some dance festival a few hours away where we would camp in the middle of the city.  I'm not sure if it's going to work out, and the idea of carrying around everything I bring with me all day definitely doesn't sound fun as my sleeping bag is neither small nor light. If my house mates get the tent rental worked out I'll go anyway.

Chao

1 comment:

  1. Hahhahha CLASSIC. Wish I could see you doing these things! LOVE youuuuuuuuuu.

    ReplyDelete